Vietnam is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for Indian tourists. With its breathtaking natural landscapes, fascinating history and culture, mouthwatering cuisine, and affordable costs, Vietnam offers an unforgettable experience for visitors. However, in order to enter Vietnam, Indian citizens must obtain a visa. This guide will provide an overview of everything you need to know about getting a Vietnam visa as an Indian national.
Table of Contents
Overview of Vietnam Visas for Indians
There are several types of visas available for Indian citizens looking to travel to Vietnam:
- Tourist Visa – For tourism and sightseeing purposes. Valid for 30 days and can be extended.
- Business Visa – For business trips, meetings, conferences etc. Valid for 3 months and can be extended.
- E-Visa – An online visa that can be used for both tourism and business. Valid for 30 days.
- Visa on Arrival – For those who need to travel urgently. Must apply for pre-approval letter before arrival.
The visa requirements and application process vary slightly depending on which type you apply for. However, all visas require a valid passport, completed application form, passport photos, and various fees.
Who Needs a Vietnam Visa?
All Indian citizens traveling to Vietnam need a valid visa in order to enter the country. The only exception is for Indians traveling to Vietnam’s Phu Quoc resort island – they can visit without a visa for up to 30 days.
So whether you’re planning a two-week vacation or a short business trip, you’ll need to obtain a visa before arriving in Vietnam. Attempting to enter without one will result in denied entry.
How to Apply for a Vietnam Visa as an Indian
Tourist and Business Visas
The easiest way to apply for a tourist or business visa is through the Vietnamese Embassy in India. You will need to submit your application in person along with all required documents such as passport, photos, and fees. Processing time is around 5 business days.
Alternatively, you can use an online visa service provider to handle the application process for you. They will submit the application to the embassy on your behalf and have it couriered back to you once approved. This costs more but is very convenient.
Vietnam offers an electronic visa (e-visa) program which allows visitors to apply online and receive visa approval via email. E-visas are valid for 30 days and can be used for tourism or business.
To apply, visit the official Vietnam Immigration Department website. You will need to complete the online form and upload supporting documents. Approval is generally received within 3 working days.
Visa on Arrival
This method involves obtaining pre-approval from a Vietnamese travel agency, who will provide you with an approval letter. You present this letter at immigration control when you arrive at major airports in Vietnam to receive your visa.
Visas issued on arrival are valid for 30 days. Be aware that this method comes with some uncertainties, so it’s best for those who need to travel urgently and don’t have time to apply in advance.
Vietnam Visa Requirements for Indian Citizens
All visa applicants from India must meet the following requirements:
- Valid passport – Must have at least 6 months validity remaining
- Completed application form – Forms can be downloaded online
- Passport photos – 2 photos, 4cm x 6cm, no glasses or headwear
- Visa fees – Varies by visa type, usually around $25 – $135 USD
- Return ticket – Proof of onward or return travel
- Hotel bookings – Confirmed hotel reservations for duration of stay
- Bank statement – Showing proof of sufficient funds
- Employment letter – For business visas, a letter from your employer
- Additional documents – Certain visa types may require extra documents
Be sure to check the specific requirements for the visa type you are applying for. Having all documents ready will help avoid delays in processing your visa application.
Comparing Vietnam Visa Types for Indians
Here is a helpful comparison of the main visa types available to Indian passport holders:
|Visa Type||Validity||Extendable||Processing Time||Use|
|Tourist Visa||30 days||Yes, once||5 business days||Tourism leisure|
|Business Visa||3 months||Yes||5 business days||Business activities|
|E-Visa||30 days||No||3 working days||Tourism or business|
|Visa on Arrival||30 days||No||Instant upon arrival||Urgent travel|
As you can see, tourist and business visas offer the most flexibility with their 1-month and 3-month validity respectively. They also allow applicants to extend their stay once in Vietnam.
E-visas provide a quick online application process but do not allow extensions. Visas on arrival are the quickest option but also cannot be extended and require pre-approval.
Tips for Getting Your Vietnam Visa as an Indian
Here are some helpful tips for Indians to ensure a smooth visa application process:
- Apply early – Submit your application at least 2-4 weeks in advance of travel to allow processing time.
- Double check requirements – Be sure you have all the required documents for the visa type you are applying for.
- Check passport validity – Your passport must have at least 6 months validity remaining to be accepted.
- Use reputable agencies – If applying through a third-party service, choose a well-reviewed agency.
- Make copies – Photocopy all documents in case originals get lost/damaged.
- Follow up on status – Contact the embassy or agency if you don’t receive updates within the processing timeline.
- Confirm visa upon arrival – Double check that the visa in your passport matches your approval letter/receipt.
Allowing plenty of time, being organized with your documents, and following up diligently can help ensure a smooth visa application process.
Frequently Asked Questions About Vietnam Visas for Indians
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about getting a Vietnam visa as an Indian citizen:
Q: How long does it take to get a Vietnam visa as an Indian citizen?
A: Regular tourist and business visa applications take around 5 business days to process if applying directly through the Vietnamese embassy. E-visas are faster, taking just 3 working days for approval. Visas on arrival are instant.
Q: Can I get a visa on arrival?
A: Yes, but you must first get pre-approval from a travel agent and present the approval letter upon arrival to get your visa issued. Not recommended for first-time travelers.
Q: Do I need to show proof of hotel bookings and return tickets?
A: Yes, having confirmed hotel reservations and return/onward tickets is required as part of the visa application for Indians.
Q: Can I extend my visa once I’m in Vietnam?
A: Tourist and business visas can be extended once by applying through local immigration authorities in Vietnam. E-visas and visas on arrival cannot be extended.
Q: Is there an e-visa or visa on arrival for Phu Quoc island?
A: No, you must obtain a full tourist or business visa in advance to visit Phu Quoc as an Indian. The 30-day visa exemption does not apply.
Q: Can I work in Vietnam on a tourist or business visa?
A: No, engaging in paid employment in Vietnam requires a work permit and appropriate work visa. Tourist/business visas do not allow working.
Carefully following Vietnam’s visa rules and requirements will ensure Indian citizens have a smooth entry experience and enjoyable visit in this amazing country.
Obtaining a valid visa is essential for Indian citizens looking to travel to Vietnam for either tourism or business purposes. By understanding the different types of visas available, completing the application steps well in advance, and meeting all requirements, Indians can avoid headaches and look forward to an incredible adventure in Vietnam. A little preparation goes a long way towards ensuring a smooth visa application process.