LEGALIZATION / AUTHENTICATION OF DOCUMENTS FOR USE IN VIET NAM
The documents need to be legalized in order to use them in Viet Nam. Procedures for consular legalization of foreign documents used in Viet Nam will take four steps:
Step 1: The documents issued by the competent bodies/organizations of foreign countries must be authenticated at a competent notary of the country where the documents were issued.
Step 2: The notarized documents must be certified by the competent diplomatic body of the country where the documents were issued.
Step 3: Notarized documents must be certified by Viet Nam Embassy in Japan.
Step 4: Foreign documents must be translated into Vietnamese and certified the translation by the Viet Nam Embassy in Tokyo or Justice Division of any District People”s Committee in Vietnam or notary service in Viet Nam before being submitted to the competent bodies of Vietnam.
Applications should have:
1. Application for legalization of documents (download form here);
2. Photocopy of requester’s ID or passport;
3. Request documents must be notarized public and authenticated by local legal department (MOFA, JCCI…) before sending to the Embassy for legalization;
4. Make one photocopy of original for the Embassy record;
5. You may come in person to the Embassy of Viet Nam in Japan to pick up your legalized/authenticated documents or request for the documents to be mailed-back, in which case you are kindly asked to include a self-addressed postage-paid return envelope.
You also have an option to request for instant processing and your documents can be returned on the same-day (or 1/2 hour, depending on the complicity of the documents). Extra fee is applied for such request.
* Mail back: A prepaid return envelope: if the applicant requests the visa be returned by mail, please use service of the company ヤマト運輸の着払伝表. A prepaid and self-addressed envelope must be enclosed with applicant’s copy of ID, application form, legalization fees and other current fees (if needed, such as processing fee, shipping, handling and expedite services).